Advanced Search


Q.   I am cleaning an existing septic system, or other sewage disposal system; do I need a permit?

A.   No, you do not need a permit from the City of Millersville; however, you are required to register with the Codes Department prior to work commensing and furnish records of work completed within our corporate limits. You may register by sending the form to the codes office at:

Office of the Codes Administrator 
1246 Louisville Highway
Millersville, TN 37072

Once work is finished, notify the office, in writing, include the date work was completed and a description of the work accomplished.

Q.   I have a corner lot; how is my front setback determined?

A.   Corner lots have two front setbacks; road frontage is used to determine the front setbacks.

Q.   How do I find out who in the City of Millersville is covered under a TDEC Construction General Permit?

A.   Visit the following link: List of NOC under Construction General Permit; information is listed by county.

Q.   I have seasonal merchandise to sale; do I need a permit?

A.   If you have grown seasonal produce on the same parcel where you reside, you will not need a permit; however, all other cases require a Temporary Use Permit.

Q.   Who determines whether a water conveyance in the City of Millersville is a stream?

A.   The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation makes that determination as far as Stormwater issues are concerned.

Q.   How are building permit fees for Commercial and Industrial uses figured?

A.   Construction costs for Commercial and Industrial Buildings are based on construction type and use using the most current Building Valuation Data from the International Code Council. There are five types of construction; each is typically identified as:  Types I and II are those types of construction in which the building elements are of noncombustible materials; Type III is the type of construction in which the exterior walls are of noncombustible materials and the interior building elements are of any material; Type IV is the type construction in which the exterior walls are of noncombustible materials and the interior building elements are of solid or laminated wood without concealed spaces; Type V is the type of construction in which the structural elements, exterior walls, and interior walls are of any material.

Q.   How long will my building permit be valid?

A.   Permits expire within six months if work has not begun or if work ceases for six months or longer; if work continues normally from the issuance of the permit it will be good for one year from the date of issuance.

Q.   My permit is about to expire and my work is not complete; what do I need to do?

A.   Do not allow the permit to expire; make application for an extension.

Q.   My permit has expired; what do I do now?

A.   You will need to make application for an extension; fees may be assessed.

Q.    I have heard conflicting reports on building “Green”; can you help clarify some of the most common misconceptions?

A.    Click on this link to find 5 common myths.