Slaters Creek Photo by Jack Corn
Stream Watch Volunteer Application
In a joint effort, both the cities of Millersville and Goodlettsville would like to introduce you to a new program we are calling, Stream Watch. It is:
• A volunteer watchdog group that periodically inspects our local streams for trash, dumping, excessive silt, unhealthy plants and animals, Dissolved Oxygen, pH (Acidity), Turbidity (Clarity), and Temperature
• In partnership with both the City of Millersville Stormwater Management Department and the City of Goodlettsville Public Works Department, the group will plan, advertise, and participate in annual stream cleanups and various outreach opportunities.
• Recruit other citizens and groups to voluntarily join
WHY THE PROGRAM?
• Our local streams have been deemed impaired (unhealthy) by the EPA. Stream Watch is one of the programs we have in place to help reclaim the wellbeing of our local water ways.
• Our local streams have been subject to illegal dumping, trash, debris and excessive amounts of silt due to construction practices in the past. Concerned citizens have volunteered their time to help curb these illegal activities.
• Clean water benefits EVERYONE!
WHO CAN JOIN? (See link to VOLUNTEER APPLICATION below)
• Any concerned citizen willing to put time and energy into this worthy cause.
• School children who have teachers willing to promote and encourage students to participate.
• Other citizen groups willing to be sponsors
• Companies interested in assisting the group with corporate sponsorship of outreach events.
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
• The committee meets quarterly to discuss actions taken and information collected
• Committee members are responsible for monitoring their assigned areas.
• Members will report illegal dumping to either the Millersville or Goodlettsville Police Department
• All actions and reports will be channeled through either the Millersville Stormwater Management Department or the Goodlettsville Public Works Department (Stormwater divisions)
• This is a voluntary program. Participants are not compensated for their time. Participants shall not hold either the City of Millersville or City of Goodlettsville liable.
• The Stream Watch group will participate in the World Water Monitoring Month which runs from September 18 – October 18 each year. Test kits will be furnished by the city and volunteers will perform the tests. The city will report the results.
City of Millersville
Environmental Services Coordinator
City of Goodlettsville